NEW YEAR NEW FAMILY | Week 7 | Husbands
Turn to 1 Peter 3:7 and join us in our 7th week of New Year New Family as we talk about how Husbands should love their wives as Christ loved the church!
It’s all about Jesus!
Date: Feb 20, 2022
Series: New Year New Family
Watch the archived Facebook LIVE stream by clicking the button below!
THE REST OF THE SERMON | NEW YEAR NEW FAMILY | Week 7 | Husbands
Join us today as we talk with special guest and board member Alan Bahm about his experience through decades of marriage and loving Christ along the way! It’s all about Jesus!
Thank you so much for listening in here at West Side. We often say that we love the word of God because it points us to the son of God. We hope these messages encourage you and equip you to love Jesus more. We also want you to be apart of a local church, we believe these messages are only supplemental, being apart of a local church is essential. Blessings.
New Year New Family: Husbands 1 Peter 3:7
REVIEW> We are getting close to ending our series! Goal of the series to Breakdown old foundations and build up new foundations. Next week we will look at parenting, then we start a new series entitled, “Memento Mori” Life, Death and the Afterlife.
INTRO> Hey, do you know what the most endangered species is on the entire planet?I looked it up this week! It’s what is called a “vaquita” it is a fish that looks like a dolphin, as of 2019 there are only 15 of them left in the world. Black market, worth about $250,000 per fish!
APP> I simply use that as an illustration to say that isn’t the most endangered species in the world… Godly husbands are. It is no surprise that men are in trouble, I could share so many statistics but the really problem is this… men aren’t only in trouble but men are notorious for not working on themselves. Case in point, I’ve been asking questions via social media each week and been getting a ton of responses, this weeks question was (PIC) and 8 people have responded… There is a reason for this as well:
Most men have never had a godly man show them how to be a godly man. Why do you think men like Joe Rogan, Jordan Peterson, John Wayne, sports foggers and musical artist are looked to by men? Because they are searching.
The Malfunction of Manhood:
- Passive Men – Reject responsibility by running, shutting down and distracting themselves. (Fear)
- Aggressive Men- Destroy responsibility by reacting, dominating and becoming authoritarian. (Anger)
APP> How has this happened? Well.. because of our father Adam, turn to Genesis 3 real quick. The key is “Adam, where are you?” God called to Adam and in that in a massive concept that you have to know:
Big Idea> God holds husbands responsible for the home.
The O.E.D defines responsibility as “a duty to help take care of someone or something because of your position.”
A husbands numbered one responsibility outside of his relationship with Jesus Christ, is his wife.
CONTEXT> I want you to notice something in the text, the women got 6 verses, not because they have more problems but because women process differently than men. Men, we get one verse, 38 words in English. APP> If everything that we have said is true, then this is our guiding question, “How can I do this?” I want to be very clear today, my goal is not to beat men up today but rather build them up through the word of God.
- Spend time with your wife. v7a
- “Husbands live….” The word that is used here is the greek word συνοικέω (sunoikeō) and this is the only time it is used in the NT! It means to dwell with intimately.
*ILL> Do you know what came to my mind? A crock pot. THat’s marriage, not a microwave.
APP> Men, there is no substitute for quality time. 15 minutes a day, 1 evening a week, one day a month, one weekend a year.
2) Study your wife. v7b
- “in an understanding way…” some translations say, “according to knowledge” This is so practical!
APP> The interesting thing about this is, and ask any couple, you KEEP studying her! Resources: 5lovelanguages.com
APP> Romance is the response to commitment not convince.
3) Honor your wife. v7c
- “showing honor…” This word honor is a big deal in the Bible, we are going to do an entire series on it in the Future. I mean to recognize the value of something.
Men honor your wife:
- Publicly with words.
- Privately with time and attention.
- Frequently with loving acts of kindness.
4) Protect your wife. v7d
- “ as the weaker vessel” this has nothing to do with less value, it actually means the opposite, because she is so values- HANDLE WITH CARE! *(Show Pic)
Men are called to protect their wives:
APP> God has given you strength so you can serve your wife.
5) Pray with your wife. v7e.
- “so your prayer are not hindered..” The word “your” here is actually “y’all” Peter is assuming that husbands and wives pray together.
APP> Husbands, your love for God above you is measured by your love towards your wife beside you.
“The husband is the head of the wife just in so far as he is to her what Christ is to the church-read on- an gave his life for her. This headship, then is most fully embodied not in the husband we should all wish to be, but in the man whose marriage is most like a crucifixion; whose wife receives most and gives the least.” C.S. Lewis
- Resources- men out in the lobby is a prayer and bible reading plan for you from West Side Men.
- Response- In just a moment after I pray, I am calling all the husbands in this room, with their wives, to come forward, kneel, hold your wife hand and pray out loud with her… this is your moment.”
“Heavenly Father, thank you for my wife. She is the greatest gift you have given me. Forgive my failures and give me strength to lead our home. In Jesus Name I Pray. Amen”
Your move men…